In this post you will the simple hacks our customers are using to improve their bodies ability for fat loss, improved energy, and less brain fog (mental clarity and focus).
KETOSIS & KETONES
The natural metabolic SHIFT of nutritional ketosis allows the body to break down fat and produce ketones as an alternative source of energy and fuel. When the body functions in a state of nutritional ketosis, a number of health benefits can occur including increased fat loss,
energy levels, mental clarity, and focus.
Endogenous ketones, or B-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), acetoacetate (ACA), and acetone, are molecules produced in the liver specifically from the breakdown of fats. This typically only happens when one is following a very strict, low-carbohydrate and high-fat diet, in addition to fasting.
When insulin levels are low, and glucagon and epinephrine levels are relatively normal, fat released from cells travels to the liver. Here, the body produces ketones and utilizes them as an alternative energy source to glucose for fuel.
Supplementing with exogenous ketones like KETO OS NAT introduces ketone bodies into your bloodstream in one hour or less, without pushing your body into nutritional ketosis.
Your body doesn’t operate on minutes and hours but rather days, weeks, and months. Eating multiple meals all day long isn’t necessary. Intermittent fasting is a simple way to break habitual eating.
Every minute of every day our bodies are working. Reducing your eating window allows your body to perform optimally.
4 Simple Steps to start Fasting:
- Kickstart your morning with some KETO//OS NAT
- Have your first meal of the day between 11am and 1pm. Try to keep it low-carb.
- Have your last meal no later than 8pm. (again low carb is best)
- Wrap up your day with a caffeine free KETO//OS® NAT
FUN INTERMITTENT FAST FACT: Intermittent Fasting is associated with insulin and leptin sensitivity.
HOW TO EAT KETO AT RESTAURANTS & ON THE GO
MEXICAN: Salad with grilled steak, chicken, or shrimp. Add
any of the following: tomatillo-red, sour cream, guacamole (yes- we know guac is extra), cheese, and ranch dressing. Just say no to rice, beans, or tortillas.
BURGER RESTAURANT: Double double protein style...or just ask for a double cheeseburger without the bun. Add any of the following: Bacon, lettuce, mustard, mayo, onion, pickles. Skip the fries. Don’t forget to ask for a fork and knife.
SUB / SANDWICH SHOP: Lettuce wrapped turkey, roast beef, or ham sandwich. Add any of the following: lettuce, mayo, ranch, avocado, bacon. Skip the chips and cookie.
PIZZA RESTAURANT: Order thin and crispy crust, or just eat the toppings and cheese. WINGS are at almost every pizza place. Get wings (not breaded) with a side of ranch. BBQ sauce is OUT but spice it up with Buffalo sauce.
CAFES: Order a salad with grilled steak, chicken, or shrimp. Use ranch dressing, olive oil, or juice from a lemon. Make sure to ditch any dried fruit, croutons, crispy wontons, or fried tortillas. Bonus points if you can add avocado.
FOOD GUIDE FOR LOW CARB EATING
PROTEINS: Bonus Points for Grass-Fed, Organic, Hormone & Antibiotic Free, or Free Range.
Lean cuts of meat are ok, but remember high fat is the name of the game.
We like it wild. You should too. Go for wild caught. Farm raised is out.
- Pork Chops
- Pork Loin
- Whole Eggs
SEAFOOD: We like it wild. You should too. Go for wild caught. Farm raised is out.
- Mahi Mahi
- (in olive oil is best)
VEGETABLES: Starchy Veggies aren't our friends. Stick to the leafy greens that treat you right.
- Romaine lettuce
FATS & OILS
Organic and Grass Fed fats and oils are encouraged. Limit or avoid dairy when possible as many people have a negative effect from dairy.
- Avocado Oil
- Chia Seeds
- Coconut Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Flax seed
- Olive Oil
- Paleo mayonnaise
- Sesame Seeds
At a minimum, you should be drinking of 8-10 8 oz glasses of water per day.
- Divide your body weight (in lbs) by 2. This number, in ounces, is the amount of water you should drink daily.
Great Alone or with KETO//OS® NAT™:
- Naturally Flavored Sparkling Water
- Unsweetened Iced Tea
Great Alone or Mixed with KETO//KREME® or MCT//143™
- Unsweetened Coffee
- Unsweetened Hot Tea
- Unsweetened Kombucha
SNACKS: Snacking is fine in moderation. Keep in mind, extra calories taken in should be expelled with extra movement.
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/4 C. Nuts
- Kale Chips
- Pork Rhinds
- Seaweed Snacks
UP YOUR WATER INTAKE
Drink 2 glasses of water when you wake followed by up to a gallon a day for maximum hydration. Total hydration does NOT include, coffee, tea
or carbonated drinks. When drinking ketones it’s crucial
to stay hydrated!
Even a small percentage of dehydration can greatly affect your mood. Feel your best throughout the challenge and set yourself up for success by simply increasing your water intake.
H20 HACK - GET SALTY!
Take a Salt Bath 3-5 out of 7 evenings each week. Use hot water and 1 cup
(or up to 3 cups for a larger tub) of epsom salt and soak for 30 minutes. Our bodies become depleted of natural minerals throughout the day and create a dehydrated state. Soaking in these salts actually helps replace key minerals your body needs to function at an optimum level.
Another simple way to feel your best and maintain focus is to move! We have 4 moves for you to do for 1 minute each day. Complete all 4 moves each day to reach a BETTER you!
Do these quick, 1 minute movements daily, and you’ll feel BETTER. Challenge yourself and double your results with an extra 4 minutes each day. The challenge is YOURS!
- Start with feet close together and arms touching your body.
- Hop feet apart the same time as you bring your bent arms above your head.
- Hop back in while bringing your arms down by your side.
- Continue this motion to complete your jumping jacks.
Modification: Step one leg out at a time while bringing your arms up above your head and down by your side.
- Start in the plank position.
- Place your hands on the ground shoulder width apart.
- Keep your core tight, neutral neck, lower your arms until your entire body is near the ground but not completely touching the ground.
- Keeping your body rigid repeat the motion for 60 seconds.
Modification: Place your knees on the ground while keeping your spine neutral and move your body in one motion towards the ground and back up.
- Stepping one foot forward at a time, lower yourself until your back knee softly touches the ground and both knees are at 90 degree angle.
- Keep forward knee from jetting out over the toes of your front foot.
- Continue keeping your core engaged and tight as you push back until you’re back at the starting position.
- Continue alternating legs for the full minute.
Modification: Use a pole or chair to keep your balance and lower slowly only as far as you feel comfortable.
- Lay flat on the ground, bending your knees. While keeping your core engaged and neck relaxed
- Sit up by bringing your upper body toward your thighs.
- Feet stay on the ground as you sit up and lower yourself back down on the ground.
Modification: Crunches serve as a great modification for sit ups.
- Engage those abs and lift yourself up a few inches off the ground.
- Squeeze and hold that position.
- Lower yourself back down on the ground.
- Keep it up and those abs will be on fire!